Beets, Lettuce (Magenta), Cauliflower, Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Basil, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Scallions, Garlic Scapes, Kale, SpinachHARVEST MOON ORGANICS (split share)
Strawberries, Kale, Swiss Chard, Garlic Scapes, Mint, Scallions, Tomatoes, Radishes, PeasWHAT'S BEEN COOKIN'?
For the past two weeks, I’ve been tackling my greens first – as those are usually the first to go bad, and they’re usually the last thing that I want to deal with. So, I’ve been forcing myself to use those up first. I’m also getting a lot better at sourcing recipes and ideas that use up a lot of ingredients in one go – cutting down on cooking time and making bigger batches to eat throughout the week.
Here’s a sampling of what’s been on our menu the past week:
- My old standby – and a house favorite! – Mediterranean Couscous with Zucchini, Chickpeas & Feta. ** this recipe is featured in the 24 boxes cookbook
- Green Soup – sounds weird, but really good (and uses up lots of greens). No official recipe just yet...
- “Mostly Plants” Breakfast Squares – really, really good. I used Kielbasa, kale, ramp greens, garlic scapes and spinach, served on a sliced ciabatta roll. To prepare the greens for this recipe, I used this technique.
- Green Pancakes with Lime Butter from this book – awesome savory pancakes that I topped with roasted, shredded chicken and garnished with sliced radishes, the lime butter and cilantro.
- Broccoli Calzones featured on the Everyday Food television series on PBS. I’m going to freeze half of them to keep on hand for quick, ready-made meals.