Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thanksgiving Turkeys

Since returning from vacation, I’ve been focusing a lot of my kitchen time on stocking up for winter – roasting, pureeing and freezing squash and sugar pumpkins, harvesting the last of my patio-grown jalapeños and drying them in a dehydrator for a powdered spice, and I even “put up” some pickled beets and blackberry jam before I left for Hawaii. All in all, necessary, but not very exciting “post-worthy” stuff. I’ve got some ideas in the hopper and I promise I’ll be back to posting recipes soon.

In the mean time, if you’re in the Chicagoland area looking for a Butterball alternative, check out this link from Slow Food Chicago. These farmers have turkeys, ham, geese, ducks, goats, and lamb available for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are conscientious stewards of land and animals, and are committed to sustainable and humane livestock production.

Many of the turkeys can be picked up at farmers market locations in Oak Park, Evanston or the Green City Winter Market in Lincoln Park. You can also arrange delivery or pick up directly from the farms.

No comments: